St. Patrick's Day Holiday Handbook
by Kate Heyhoe
On March 17, raise a merry toast (and a fork!) to the Irish. St. Patrick's Day reminds us that true Irish cooking celebrates not just corned beef and cabbage, but Ireland's rich farmhouse cheeses, wild fruits and berries, hearty vegetables, and incomparable seafood, lamb, and livestock. Modern chefs have devised Irish recipes with a fresh approach, taking a lighter hand with new dishes and traditional dishes as well. Sample the fare with our Irish Recipe Collection, below.
As they say in Ireland: Bain taitneamh as do bhéile! Bon appetit!
Irish Ale and Stout Party
What goes better with brew than brew-cooked food? That is, snacks made from ale, stout and lagers. For St. Patrick's Day or anytime you're feelin' a wee bit of the Irish, try serving some of these traditional brew-based treats to your favorite leprechauns—they'll consider themselves lucky, indeed!
Irish Hens for Paddy
Take a taste of the Irish FlavorPrint, and conjure up a dish of Irish Hens with Bacon and Cabbage.
Bain taitneamh as do bhéile!
May your appetite be good!
More Irish Toasts.
Pluck a shamrock and take a virtual visit to the Emerald Isle at Global Destinations: Ireland.
- St. Paddy's Green Potato Pancakes
with Pale Green Horseradish Drizzle
- Irish Hen with Bacon and Cabbage
- Crunchy Blue Cheese Bread Croutons
- Sharp Ale Cheese
- Beer "Latkes" or Pancakes
- Corned Beef & Cabbage in Ale
- Pork Chops in Beer
- Lamb Cutlets with Honey, Apricot, and Tarragon Sauce
- Gratin of Summer Fruits with Irish Mist Sabayon
- Wilted Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Cashel Blue Cheese
- Loin of Hare with Bacon and Irish Whiskey Cream
- Roasted Sea Bass with a Parsley and Caper Sauce
- Brown Chicken Stock
- Mussels with Potato and Garlic
- Braised Lamb Shanks with Pearl Barley and Root Vegetables
- Old-Fashioned Salmon Mayonnaise
- Lamb Folláin
- Salmon and Spinach Terrine
- Toasted Oatmeal and Bushmills Crème Brûlée
with Rhubarb Compote
Holiday and Party Recipes (by holiday and date)
Copyright © 2007, Forkmedia LLC. All rights reserved.
This page modified March 2007