Mother's Day Gift and Menu Guide
My idea of heaven is a great big baked potato and someone to share it with. —Oprah Winfrey
Do Mom a Favor: Don't Take Her Out
by Kate Heyhoe
Mother's Day falls on the second Sunday in May.
My mother's first request at Mother's Day is: Don't take me out—at least not to a restaurant on Mother's Day itself. Any other day is fine, like the weekend before or the weekend after. But on the second Sunday in May, dining out can be ugly. Service is usually lousy, lines are long (even with reservations), tables are jammed together, and the food, as can be expected from an overworked kitchen, may range from mediocre to just plain bad.
So do Mom a favor, and avoid the crowds. My mother's favorite experience is a picnic at the arboretum. Nothing fancy, just fried chicken, roses and azaleas. And her kids and grandkid, of course, to dote on her and fulfill her every whim.
If you prefer to prepare a special meal in-house, attend to it with flowers and the biggest drudgery of all: dish-washing. Don't forget to leave a spotlessly clean kitchen. To make the caring last all week, top off the meal with a dessert mom can savor for the next few days, something to remind her just how sweet life can be.
If you were born after 1995, you may be searching for recipes to make with just a pinch of adult assistance. Look no further. The recipes below are elegant enough to serve to the most important woman in your life, but simple enough for both young chefs and adults to prepare. For more recipes, go to our Search feature and Archives.
And don't forget to check out our Mother's Day Gift Guide in the Global Gourmet Store for special ways to say "Mom, you're the best!"
Happy Mother's Day!
Breakfast, Sweets and Dessert Recipes
- Herb Biscuits with Cheese
- Ricotta Pancakes with Roasted Applesauce
- Double Chocolate Pancakes
- Peanut Butter Waffles
- Black and White Cupcakes
- Lemon Squares
- Spiced Caramel Oranges
- "I Love Desserts" Archives—more recipes
- A Mother's Day Spring Breakfast
- Prizewinning Orange Scones with Berries and Cream
- Mango and Crystallized Ginger Quick Bread
- Apricot and Orange Marmalade
- Parmesan and Black Pepper Pillows
- Artist's Palette Herb Flower Canapes
- Crisp Toasts and Chargrilled Bruschetta
- Baked Brie Stuffed with Strawberry Preserves and Toasted Almonds
- Marinated Goat Cheese with Garlic, Basil, and Orange Zest
Salads, Main and Side
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Mushroom, Jarlsberg, and Parsley Salad
- Spicy Cucumber Salad
- Warm Salad of Shrimp, Radicchio, Arugula, and Balsamic Vinegar
- Aegean Island Souvlaki with Grilled Vegetable Couscous
- Apple-Smoked Filet Mignon with Ginger-Snapped String Beans
- Roast Rock Cornish Game Hens with Raspberry Flavor
- Tagliatelle Pasta with Asparagus and Gorgonzola Sauce
Holiday and Party Recipes (by holiday and date)
Copyright © 2002, 2007, Kate Heyhoe. All rights reserved.
This page modified May 2010