Memorial Day Recipes
by Kate Heyhoe
Memorial Day falls on the last Monday in May.
Grilling today goes beyond the traditional hickory-smoked barbecue sauce—chefs now fuel their patrons with exotic platters of Latin, Asian and Caribbean specialties, all flame-kissed on hot, smoky grills. Fortunately, these same chefs also share their tempting recipes with us, in cookbooks as luscious in their looks as in their recipes.
This Memorial Day, fire up the summer grilling season with at least one new cookbook and one new recipe to add to the festivities. The toughest thing will be figuring out which to sample.
The Stubb's Bar-B-Q Cookbook is tops on my list, and not just because I wrote it. See for yourself with these recipes: Wicked Jezebel Ribs, Rubmaster's Grill-Roasted Drums and Stubb's Cole Slaw. Buy the Stubb's Bar-B-Q Cookbook so you can refer to it throughout the grilling season.
Some other recipe suggestions: Try Omaha Steaks' Souvlaki with Grilled Vegetable Couscous, always a crowd-pleaser. Or, discover what the staff of an award-winning restaurant eats: Honeyed-Hoisin Grilled Chicken Wings, and Cucumber Salad with Red Onion and Chinese Sausage. For a South American spin with class, perhaps you'd prefer Douglas Ramirez' Salmon with Dill Chimichurri sauce. Then cool down with a 3-ingredient Rose Hips Sorbet, paired with pink pineapple. Add a salad to your menu and gloat as the compliments come in.
The following mouth-watering recipes should get you burnin' to go—they include main dishes along with grilling partners, such as sides and sauces.
Happy Memorial Day!
The Global Gourmet
- Garlic and Chile Stabbed T-Bone Steaks
- with Grilled Corn Relish
- Aegean Island Souvlaki
- with Grilled Vegetable Couscous
- Lemongrass-Speared Grilled Chicken Satay
- with Thai Peanut Sauce
- Mussels in Banana Leaves with Saffron-Lemon Butter
- Shrimp with Avocado-Horseradish Salsa
- Salmon with Dill Chimichurri
- Nicaraguan-Style Churrasco
- Grilled Beef Fillets with Star Anise
- Honeyed-Hoisin Grilled Chicken Wings
- Cucumber Salad with Red Onion and Chinese Sausage
- From Healthy 1-2-3
- Julienned Beefsteak Tomato Salad, Watercress Oil
- Poached Pineapple in Red Honey Syrup, Rose Hips Sorbet
- Iced Green Tea with Lemongrass Infusion
- From Sticks and Skewers
- Italian Potatoes on Rosemary Sticks
- Afghan Lamb Kabobs with Ginger, Red Wine, and Bay Leaves
- Pineapple Sticks with Sugar-Lime Sauce
- Vitello Focaccia
- Soy-Glazed Salmon Burgers with Ginger Lime Aioli
- Hawaiian Tuna Burgers with Maui Wowee Salsa
- Down Island Burgers with Mango Mayo & Grilled Onions
- Carolina Pork Barbecue Burgers
- Bolognese Turkey Burgers with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Green Olives
- Grilled Portobello and Spinach Burgers
- Black Thai Burgers with Gingered Shiitakes
- Caramelized Onion and Chickpea Burgers
- Cuban Style Pork Burger
- Chicken Diablo Burgers with Roasted Red Peppers
More Recipe Ideas
- Memorial Day Crab Boil
- Real Onion Dip
- The FTBBLT: The Full-Tilt Boogie BLT
- Potato Salad with Bacon and Tomatoes
- Bread Salad with Watermelon, Feta, and Red Onion
- Nonya-Style Grilled Chicken or Pork Satay
- Soba Noodles with Grilled Vegetables and Sesame-Ginger Dressing
- Grilled Figs and Goat Cheese Drizzled with Honey
- Green Tea Ice Cream
- Hazelnut Shortbread
- Memorial Day Luau
Holiday and Party Recipes (by holiday and date)
Copyright © 2002, Kate Heyhoe. All rights reserved.
This page modified April 2013