Seasonings of the Witch
for Black Magic Month
By Kate Heyhoe
"Bewitched Black Bean Enfrijoladas"
aka: Goat Cheese Enfrijoladas Negras
If you can find the newfangled orange-red tortillas seasoned with sun-dried tomatoes and chiles, they'll make this dish even more colorful. Serve this dish to blood suckers and vegetarians alike.
"Blithe Spirit Pumpkin Flan"
aka: Pumpkin Flan
Top this dish with chocolate shavings for a whimsically eerie orange-black effect.
"Hellfire 'n Damnation Cocoa/Caffe Diablo" with...
... Mango-Habanero Whipped Cream
This Mango-Habanero Whipped Cream from Nuevo Tex-Mex inspired me to serve it with hot chocolate or with a hot cup of coffee, either one heated with cinnamon sticks and cloves. For a fiery effect, top the drink with a spoonful of warm cognac and set aflame before serving.
Recipes and photos from Nuevo Tex-Mex, by David Garrido and Robb Walsh. Chronicle Books, 1997, Reprinted by permission.
Black Magic Month: Halloween Count-Down
- Brujo's Burning Balls of Fire in Vermilion Sauce
- Toasted Nori Bat Wings
- Portabella Toadstools on a Log
with Slithering Crimson Salamanders
- Musical selection: That Old Black Magic, Frank Sinatra
Part II: Witch Doctor's Delight
- Spellbinding Squid Tentacles
- Apothecary Aioli
- Shaman's Shrimp
- Santeria Sangria
- Musical selection: Witch Doctor, as sung by David Seville's Alvin and the Chipmunks
Part III: Seasonings of the Witch
- Bewitched Black Bean Enfrijoladas
- Blithe Spirit Pumpkin Flan
- Hellfire 'n Damnation Flaming Cocoa/Caffe
- with Mango Cream
- Musical Selection: Season of the Witch, Donovan
- Black & Orange Tapenades
- Chiles Con Queso
- Days of the Dead & Pan de Muerto
- Musical Selection: Witchy Woman, The Eagles
- A Kinder, Gentler Halloween
- I Ain't No Vampire
('Cause Garlic Tastes Good to Me)
- Halloween Parties
- Transylvanian Dinner: Going for Goulash
- Smashing Pumpkins...and Other Culinary Acts
Copyright © 2000-2006, Kate Heyhoe. All rights reserved.
This page created October 2002 and modified October 2006