Witch Doctor's Delight
for Black Magic Month
By Kate Heyhoe
Spellbinding Squid Tentacles
with Apothecary Aioli
aka: Spicy Fried Calamari with Lemon Aioli
This squid makes the ideal Halloween food: it's chewy (pleasantly so—not like rubber bands), crunchy, and the curled up orange and black tentacles produce an outstanding eerie effect.
aka: Lemon Aioli
Note: This lemony aioli, a mayonnaise type of sauce, does contain raw eggs, so if you're concerned about serving it, you can substitute 1-1/2 cups bottled mayonnaise mixed with the same quantities of lemon, mustard, garlic, white pepper, and bread of the recipe, thinning with ice-water if too thick (don't add the oil).
aka: Skillet Cajun Shrimp
This vivid orange sauce with shrimp looks spectacular in a black cast-iron skillet.
aka: Sangria Cha Cha Cha
At Cha Cha Cha, they make this sangria from a mix of red and white wine, but for our Halloween night, I prefer to use all red wine— it doesn't quite look black, but it does reinforce the darkness of the underworld. For a festive punch, freeze a layer of water in a ring mold or clean gallon milk container. Place a layer of grapes, fruit slices and edible leaves or herbs on top, add more water to cover, then freeze until solid. Unmold by placing in hot water, then serve the sangria in a punch bowl with the frozen mold or block instead of ice cubes.
Recipes and photos from Cook, Eat, Cha Cha Cha, by Philip Berber; photographs by Ian Reeves. Chronicle Books, 1997, $17.95. Reprinted by permission.
Black Magic Month: Halloween Count-Down
- Brujo's Burning Balls of Fire in Vermilion Sauce
- Toasted Nori Bat Wings
- Portabella Toadstools on a Log
with Slithering Crimson Salamanders
- Musical selection: That Old Black Magic, Frank Sinatra
Part II: Witch Doctor's Delight
- Spellbinding Squid Tentacles
- Apothecary Aioli
- Shaman's Shrimp
- Santeria Sangria
- Musical selection: Witch Doctor, as sung by David Seville's Alvin and the Chipmunks
Part III: Seasonings of the Witch
- Bewitched Black Bean Enfrijoladas
- Blithe Spirit Pumpkin Flan
- Hellfire 'n Damnation Flaming Cocoa/Caffe
- with Mango Cream
- Musical Selection: Season of the Witch, Donovan
- Black & Orange Tapenades
- Chiles Con Queso
- Days of the Dead & Pan de Muerto
- Musical Selection: Witchy Woman, The Eagles
- A Kinder, Gentler Halloween
- I Ain't No Vampire
('Cause Garlic Tastes Good to Me)
- Halloween Parties
- Transylvanian Dinner: Going for Goulash
- Smashing Pumpkins...and Other Culinary Acts
- The Edible Zombie: A Haunting Halloween Meal
Copyright © 2000-2006, Kate Heyhoe. All rights reserved.
This page created October 2002 and modified October 2006