Whole Wheat Sourdough Flatbread
This simple to make cracker bread does not contain yeast.
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup all purpose white flour
2 cups whole wheat or King Arthur White Wheat flour
4 teaspoons Lora Brody's Sourdough Bread Enhancer
1/4 cup vegetable oil
10-12 ounces water
1/2 cup assorted seeds such as sesame, caraway, fennel, poppy
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Bread Machine method: Place the flours, regular salt, Sourdough Bread Enhancer, oil and water in the bread machine. Program for WHITE BREAD and press START. Knead until a soft, pliable ball of dough forms, adjusting flour or liquid if necessary. Cancel the machine at the end of the first knead cycle.
Food Processor method: Place the flours, regular salt and Sourdough Bread Enhancer in the work bowl of the food processor fitted with the plastic blade. With the machine on, add the oil and then the water. When a ball of dough forms, process for 40 seconds. The dough should be soft and pliable.
Allow the dough to rest 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees, with the rack in the upper third. Lightly coat a heavy baking sheet with non-stick vegetable spray. Divide the dough into 6 pieces (while you work with each piece, cover the remaining pieces). Sprinkle the work surface with a generous amount of seeds and pat them into the dough. Roll the dough in a free form shape as thin as possible, then transfer it to the prepared pan and continue rolling until paper thin. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until the edges are crisp and brown and the center has risen unevenly and bubbled. Cool on racks and store uncovered at room temperature.
Lory Brody Products and Cookbooks
- Lora Brody's Bread Dough Enhancer Baking Formula (DISCONTINUED)
- Lora Brody's Sourdough Bread Enhancer Baking Formula (DISCONTINUED)
- Lora Brody's Dough Relaxer Baking Formula (DISCONTINUED)
- Bread Machine Baking: Perfect Every Time (with Millie Apter)
- Plugged In The Definitive Guide to the 20 Best Kitchen Appliances
- (this Plugged In article appeared on our site April 1998)
- Stuff It! Fun Filled Foods to Savor and Satisfy (with Max Brody)
- Molasses Whole Wheat Bread
- My Favorite Big White Bread
- P.J.'s Hummus Bread
- Sourdough Buckwheat Pancakes
- Sourdough White Bread
- Thin Crisp Crust Pizza
- Whole Wheat Sourdough Flatbread
This page created September 1998