* You can prepare the sautéed vegetables (steps 1 and 2) up to several days ahead.
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups sliced onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 unbaked Quiche Crust
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 cup (packed) grated gruyère
3 large eggs
1 cup milk
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Place a medium-sized skillet over medium heat and wait about 2 minutes. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the onion, sauté for 5 minutes, and then add the salt, herbs, and mustard. Cover the pan, lower the heat, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (During this time, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and place the unbaked crust on a baking tray.)
2. Stir the vinegar and bell pepper into the onions, turn the heat up to medium, and cook, uncovered, for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Sprinkle the cheese into the crust, then spoon the onion-pepper mixture on top of the cheese.
4. Whisk together the eggs, milk, and black pepper to taste, and slowly pour this over the vegetables and cheese.
5. Bake on the baking tray in the lower third of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the custard is set. Cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing, and serve at any temperature.
Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Café
Over 350 Easy Recipes for Irresistible Muffins, Glorious Omelets,
Tasty Pancakes, Homemade Protein Bars, and Other Delights
to Launch and Sustain Your Every Day
by Mollie Katzen
$29.95 US / $44.95 CAN
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created November 2002
Copyright © 1994-2017,