Everything You Need to Know to
Make Delicious, Healthy Meals
on Your Indoor Electric Grill
By Holly Rudin-Braschi
There's a cooking revolution underway in kitchens all across America—people are grilling their food year-round, rain or shine, indoors! Currently, 15 percent of all U.S. households own an electric indoor tabletop grill and, with more than 10 million units sold in 1999, these grills are one of the fastest selling small appliances on the market today. At the forefront of this culinary trend is Holly Rudin-Braschi (pronounced Bra-ski). A professional healthy-cooking instructor for more than 20 years, food and travel journalist, recipe developer, American College of Sports Medicine certified health fitness instructor, and corporate lecturer, Holly Rudin-Braschi is also known throughout the industry as "The Electric Grill Goddess." It's no wonder. She has sold over 100,000 electric tabletop grills on QVC and has used almost every model on the market.
Now, Holly Rudin-Braschi has written Grill Power: Everything You Need to Know to Make Delicious, Healthy Meals on Your Indoor Electric Grill , the first cookbook devoted solely to cooking on electric indoor grills. Featuring 50 healthy, easy-to-prepare menus and more than 125 great tasting recipes, this invaluable guide is designed to help home cooks make the most of their electric indoor grill, no matter which brand or model they own. Packed full of practical tips and solutions, Grill Power provides information not currently available in traditional grilling cookbooks or manufacturers' use and care manuals.
Aware that most people use their electric indoor grill to cook a main dish while simultaneously using other appliances (stove, oven, or microwave) to cook the side dishes, Holly has specifically designed the menus in Grill Power to help both the novice as well as the more experienced indoor grill cook prepare and serve complete, healthy, gourmet-style meals in under an hour. Imbued with Holly's lively personality and wit, the recipes offer invaluable advice on preparation variations, ingredient substitutions, and serving suggestions, plus personal anecdotes and cooking lore. Step-by-step menu game plans, easy-to-find ingredients, and rigorous testing by both home and professional cooks ensure that Holly's menus and recipes will work every time. All the recipes follow USDA and American Dietetic Association guidelines, so waist watchers can use Grill Power to help them maintain healthy diets, as well.
Divided into five main chapters —Burgers, Steaks, Chops & Tenderloins, Poultry, Fish, and Meatless—Grill Power's wide-ranging collection of imaginative cuisine ideas reflects Holly's travels throughout the world. Included are such mouthwatering dishes as Pita the Great Lamb Burgers with Apricot Yogurt Sauce and Cucumber Feta Salad, Amazing Maple Glazed Pork Chops with Cranberry Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Malaysian-Style Beef and Pear Satays with Lemony Peanut Sauce over Coconut Rice, Armenian Apricot Sauced Poultry with Grilled Asparagus over Vermicelli Pilaf, Swordfish Steaks with Grilled Banana, Sweet Potatoes and Orange Pineapple Slaw, Portobello Sandwiches with Basil Parmesan Oven Fries, Grilled Pepper and Roasted Corn Salad with Chipotle Pepper Dressing, and Adobo Tofu Steaks and Grilled Polenta with Avocado and Orange Salsa.
More than a compendium of recipes, Grill Power also includes:
- A comprehensive overview and comparison of the basic grill types on the market (Two-sided Contact, Hibachi, Combination, and Infusion) and specific instructions for the use, care, and cleaning of each;
- A special section on the fundamentals of electric grilling using five basic recipes;
- "Cook's Notes"—an in-depth look at various recipe ingredients;
- "Mix & Match" suggestions to help cooks create entirely new meal combinations by recommending alternative side-dish recipes from other menus;
- A nutritional breakdown per serving of the entire menu, instead of just the individual recipes, including tallies of calories, carbohydrates, protein, cholesterol, and total fat;
- Comprehensive grilling charts for meat, fish, poultry, fruit and vegetables that include instructions for each type of electric indoor grill;
- The art of "double-skewering" to make perfect kabobs;
- Preparation and grilling techniques for vegetables and fruits—from apples and asparagus to kiwi and jicama, plums and water chestnuts;
- Ideas for making your own seasoning mixes, plus time-saving rush hour ingredients;
- A chapter on stocking your pantry with grilling in mind;
- Tips for purchasing the best quality meat, seafood, and poultry.
With Grill Power: Everything You Need to Know to Make Delicious, Healthy Meals on Your Indoor Electric Grill, Holly Rudin-Braschi demonstrates the pleasures and benefits of grilling food everyday. Informative and entertaining, it is the cookbook for anyone who already owns or is thinking about purchasing an electric indoor tabletop grill.
Everything You Need to Know
to Make Delicious, Healthy Meals
on Your Indoor Electric Grill
By Holly Rudin-Braschi
QVC Publishing, Inc, September 2000
Paperback, $19.95, 288 pages
Information provided by the publisher.
This page created March 2001