Makes 8 servings
Prep 20 minutes
Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 1 hour
Use a springform pan so that this pretty-as-a-picture cake can be removed easily for display!
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup blanched whole almonds
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into
8 pieces, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
5 to 6 large plums (1-1/4 pounds),
pitted and cut into eighths (3 cups)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
Confectioners' sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan.
2. Whisk together flour; baking powder and salt in a medium-size bowl.
3. Place sugar and almonds in a food processor. Whirl until finely ground. Add butter to processor. Whirl to combine. Add eggs and vanilla; whirl to combine.
4. Add milk to mixture in processor; whirl until blended. Add flour mixture; whirl until well blended and smooth. Add orange rind; whirl to blend. Scrape batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
5. Assemble topping: Arrange plum slices on batter; overlapping in a decorative pattern. Sprinkle granulated sugar over plums. Dot with butter.
6. Bake in heated 350 degree oven about 1 hour or until top is lightly browned and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Cool in pan on a wire rack; remove sides of pan before serving.
Family Circle Best-Ever Cakes & Cookies
Plus Pies, Tarts, and Other Desserts
Compiled by the Editors of Family Circle
Broadway Books, October 2001
288 pages with 28 full-color photographs
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created December 2001
Copyright © 1994-2017,