Yield: Approximately 18 servings
To avoid the possible problem of salmonella, it's wise to avoid using raw eggs. The easiest way to do this is to use a pasteurized egg product.
1/2 cup pasteurized egg product
(equivalent to 4 whole eggs)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup brandy
1/3 cup rum
2 cups apple juice or cider
3 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Place the egg product in a large punch bowl and beat until frothy.
2. Add the sugar and beat until combined and frothy.
3. Beat in the brandy and rum, a little at a time, then the apple juice.
4. Continue beating and add 1 cup of the cream. Beat several minutes until the mixture thickens somewhat.
5. In a medium-sized bowl, beat the remaining 2 cups of heavy cream until almost stiff. Stir into the brandy and cream mixture.
6. Sprinkle the nutmeg over the top. Serve at once.
By Olwen Woodier
Workman Publishing Co., 2001
Paperback, $ 9.95
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created December 2001