Sour Cream and Chive Spoon Bread
A question has vexed Southerners for generations: "Is spoon bread a bread or a side dish?" Let's just say it is a winning combination of both. Spoon bread resembles a grits casserole, but it has a lighter, softer, more custardy texture and is made with cornmeal. It is delicious served alongside country ham or fried chicken.
2 cups (16 fl oz/500 ml) milk
1/2 cup (4 fl oz/125 ml) water
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup (5 oz/155 g) yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup (5 fl oz/160 ml) sour cream
1-1/2 cups (6 oz/185 g) shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup (1/2 oz/15 g) chopped fresh chives
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (180 degrees C). Lightly butter a 1-1/2 qt. (1.5-l) soufflé dish.
2. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the milk, water, butter, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat and slowly whisk in the cornmeal. When the mixture returns to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and continue whisking until the mixture thickens and pulls away from the sides of the pan, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the sour cream.
3. In a bowl, using a handheld electric mixer set at high speed, beat the eggs until thick and a pale lemon yellow, about 5 minutes. Gradually stir about one-fourth of the hot cornmeal mixture into the beaten eggs, then fold the eggs into the remaining cornmeal mixture, stirring constantly. Fold in the cheese and chives. Pour into the prepared soufflé dish.
4. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Serve at once.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
Calories 396 (Kilojoules 1,6631; Protein 17 g; Carbohydrates 24 g; Total Fat 26 g; Saturated Fat 15 g; Cholesterol 206 mg; Sodium 661 mg; Dietary Fiber 1 g.
New American Cooking Series
Time Life Books, 2000
Color photographs throughout
Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Pulled Pork with Mint Julep Barbecue Sauce
- Sour Cream and Chive Spoon Bread
- Minted Green Snap Beans
- Classic Southern Pralines
This page created July 2000