To core whole pears
1. Remove the core from the bottom of the pear with a nonswivel peeler, a corer, or a paring knife.
To poach pears
2. Pour red wine over to completely cover cored and peeled pears in a saucepan and sprinkle generously with sugar.
3. Poach at a bare simmer until the pears are easily penetrated with a paring knife.
4. Drain the pears and reduce the poaching liquid until it is the consistency of thin syrup. Cut the pears in half and slice each half into a fan shape.
5. Serve hot or cold in shallow bowls, spooning the sauce around.
Essentials of Cooking
By James Peterson
Artisan, December 1999
300 pages, more than 1100 photographs
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created February 2000
Copyright © 1994-2017,