Orange & Olive Salad
You need to apply the opposite criteria to normal when choosing the oranges for this salad, because the ones that work best have a sharp flavor, not a sweet taste. The olives should be large and fleshy.
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
4 large oranges
3/4 cup green olives
1/4 cup virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Harissa
1 crisp lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
Dill sprigs, to garnish
1. Heat a small heavy frying pan, add the cumin seeds and dry-fry until fragrant. Tip into a grinder and grind to a powder.
2. Remove the zest from 1 of the oranges with a zester and set aside. Peel the oranges with a sharp knife, carefully removing all the pith. Working over a bowl to catch the juice, cut out the segments from the oranges and discard any seeds. Put the oranges and olives into the bowl.
3. Whisk or shake together the oil, Harissa and roast cumin. Add salt to taste, then pour the dressing over the oranges and olives and toss together.
4. Arrange the lettuce leaves in a serving bowl. Add the orange and olive mixture. Garnish with the reserved orange zest and dill sprigs and serve.
Harissa is the fiery blend of red chilies, onions, garlic and spices that adds life to dishes. It is used during the preparation of dishes, and appears in small bowls on the table. It originated in Tunisia, although it is now used throughout Morocco and Algeria as well.
2 red bell peppers,
roasted and peeled
1 ounces fresh red chilies,
chopped, seeds retained
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds,
roasted in a dry pan
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1. Put the red peppers, the chilies and their seeds, garlic, coriander and caraway seeds and a pinch of salt in a food processor or blender and mix together, adding enough oil to make a thick paste.
2. Pack into a small, clean, dry jar and pour a layer of oil over the top. Cover with a tightfitting lid and keep in the refrigerator.
The Moroccan Collection:
Traditional Flavors from Northern Africa
By Hilaire Walden
Soma Books, 1998
144 pages with color photos
Recipe Reprinted by permission.
The Moroccan Collection
- Trout Stuffed with Couscous, Almonds & Herbs
- Stuffed Baked Lamb
- Rice with Tomatoes, Avocado & Black Olives
- Orange & Olive Salad
This page created May 1999