Poached Egg Florentine
Serving Size: 4
Preparation Time :0:45
- 4 ea eggs large—poached
- 2 cups Sauce
- 1 10 Spinach—washed bag
- 2 tbl butter
- 4 cloves garlic—chopped
- 1 lb Pommes Duchesse
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese—grated
- Poach eggs and trim them. Hold in ice water.
- Perpare Mornay sauce.
- Prepare Pomme Duchesse. Butter and crumb individual or a large
gratin dish. Pipe a border of Pomme Duchesse around the edge of the
- Wash spinach and cook it in butter with garlic, using just the
water that clings to the leaves. Cook it just enough to heat it.
Place a bed of spinach in the gratin dish(es).
- Place the gratin in a 400 F oven until the first speck of brown
appears on the potato border.
- Heat each egg by removing it from the ice water with a slotted
spoon. Dip it in boiling water to reheat. Place a warmed trimmed
poached egg on each bead of spinach. Coat it with Mornay Sauce, and
sprinkle it with grated cheese.
- Place it under the broiler to get a rapid glaze, and finish the
browning of the potato.
NOTES: The border of potatoes should be nicely
browned, the spinach hot, the Mornay Sauce well glazed and brown,
and the yolks of the egg liquid. Did you do that? You get an
You may want to mix the spinach with some of the Mornay Sauce
first, as it is very good that way. If so, cook a little chopped
onion with the garlic in the butter, before you make the
Steve's #12 Recipes:
- Baked Fish
- Herb Baked
- Light Gratin
- Macaroni au
- Poached Eggs
- Sauce Mornay
All About Gratins
©1996, Steve K. Holzinger. All rights reserved.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007