Pear & Jalapeño Turkey Burgers
with Bacon Tomato and Blue Cheese Salsa
Runner Up, 1996 Bays English Muffin Contest
by Eileen Watson
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Combine softened butter and parmesan cheese in a small bowl and set aside.
Bacon Tomato & Blue Cheese Salsa
- 4 slices crisply cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 medium, ripe, plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (or reduced fat mayonnaise)
- 1 tablespoon milk (or reduced fat milk)
- 1-1/2 ounce crumbled blue cheese
Combine crumbled bacon, tomatoes and mayonnaise in a medium sized bowl. Stir in milk and blue cheese. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Pear & jalapeño Turkey Burgers
- 1 pound lean, ground turkey
- 1/2 cup puréed canned pears
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil spray
- 4 Bays English Muffins
Heat grill to medium-hot.
Combine ground turkey, puréed pears, jalapeño and shallots, cayenne pepper and bread crumbs. Shape into 4 round patties. Place patties on a vegetable sprayed grill rack. Cook 18 to 20 minutes, turning once, or until cooked through. During the last few minutes of cooking, split the English Muffins, and place split side down on the outer edges of the grill until lightly toasted.
Spread about a teaspoon of Parmesan-Butter on the split side of grilled muffins. Top four muffins with burgers and cover with Bacon Tomato & Blue Cheese Salsa. Cover with muffin tops.
- Winner: Tunisian Turkey Burgers with Chick Pea Mayonnaise
Gary Smith (Sacramento, CA)
- First Runner Up: Garden Chicken Burger with Basil-Gorgonzola Salsa
Deborah McGuire (West Linn, OR)
- Pear and Jalapeño Turkey Burgers with Bacon, Tomato & Blue Cheese Salsa
Eileen Watson (Ovieto, FL)
- Macadamia Crusted Black Bean Burgers
Virginia Moon (Harvest, AL)
- Fresh Salmon-Havarti Burgers with Fennel Slaw
Virginia Anthony, (Jacksonville, FL)
- #1 Mediterranean Burger
Wolfgang Hanau (West Palm Beach, FL)
Provided by Bays English Muffins
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007