Creamy Mussel Soup
With Saffron and White Wine
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 35 to 40 minutes
This is a perfect first-course soup. Saffron adds not only its subtle flavor but beautiful color.
- 3 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large leek (white and tender green), well rinsed and minced
- 1 medium celery rib, minced
- 2-1/2 cups Quick Fish Stock or clam juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 black peppercoms
- 12 parsley stems
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a nonreactive soup pot, combine mussels and wine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, cover, and cook until mussels have opened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove mussels from shells, reserving 6 large mussels and 6 half-shells for garnish. Discard any mussels that don't open. Strain cooking liquid through a fine sieve into a large bowl.
- In same soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add leek and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add fish stock, thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns, parsley, saffron, remaining cooked mussels, and reserved mussel liquid. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- In a food processor or blender, purée soup in batches until smooth and return to soup pot. Bring to a boil. In a small bowl, blend cornstarch with cream and stir into soup. Add salt and pepper and simmer, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Strain soup through a sieve into a large saucepan and simmer over medium heat until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Divide soup among 6 soup plates and garnish each serving with a mussel on the half-shell.
365 Great Soups & Stews
by Georgia Chan Downard and Jean Galton
January 18, 1996
Reprinted by permission of the publisher.
Recipes From The Best of Clay Pot Cooking
Recipes From The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever
Recipes From 365 Great Soups & Stews
- Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
- Creamy Mussel Soup with Saffron and White Wine
- Toasted Rice Soup with Spinach and Parmesan
Recipes From A Good Day For Soup
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007