with Mustard Seeds & Mustard Sauce
Makes about 2 dozen 1-1/2" fritters
Crunchy, sweet, and savory, these fritters spice up any occasion and, served with a ginger-flavored mustard for dipping, make an enticing before-dinner appetizer.
- 3 cups grated peeled sweet carrots
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon white mustard seeds
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- oil for deep frying: pure olive oil, peanut oil, or canola oil
- Honey-Ginger MustardSauce or Mustard Cream
Mix together all the ingredients except the oil until they are just combined. Be careful not to over mix. In a deep frying pan, bring about 1-1/2" oil to 350 degrees and drop in the batter, spoonful by spoonful, being sure not to crowd the pan and allowing a few seconds between each fritter to allow the oil to return to the proper temperature. Turn the fritters after one minute and fry until they are golden brown, about one more minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fritters to absorbant paper to drain. Continue until all the batter has been used. Serve the fritters immediately, with one or more of the suggested sauces.
Copyright 1996 by Michele Anna Jordan, author of the Good Cook's Book of Mustard. All Rights Reserved. Reprinted with permission.
The Good Cook's Online Guide to Mustard
- The History of a Condiment
- Mustard in the Kitchen
- Mustard and Health
- Mustard Tasting
- My Favorite Mustards
- What Is Mustard?
- About Michele Anna Jordan
- Coarse Grain Mustard with Beer
- The Devil's Mustard
- Honey-Ginger Mustard
- Mustard Butter
- French Sausage Loaf
- Carrot Fritters
Michele Anna Jordan's books, including The Good Cook's Series (on Mustard, Tomatoes and Oil & Vinegar) are available at bookstores nationwide, or they may be ordered from Katz and Company at 800-455-2305; fax 707-254-1846.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007