- 1-1/2 pounds carrots
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon mace (or allspice)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/4 cups olive oil
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened home-made (or prepared) applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla or maple extract
- 1 cup raisins or currants
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9x13 inch cake pan and lightly dust with flour. Wash carrots but do not peel. Cut off ends and grate in food processor or parboil and purée in blender.
In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda, spices, and salt and mix well with wooden spoon.
In a large bowl, beat eggs, egg whites, olive oil, sugar, applesauce, and vanilla or maple extract until well mixed. Stir in carrots. Add flour mixture and beat for 3 minutes.
Fold in raisins and nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 75 to 80 minutes until cake has pulled away from the sides of pan and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Put on wire rack and cool for 15 minutes.
If desired, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar before serving. Also may be served with frozen yogurt.
Makes 15 servings.
Steve's Olive Oil Recipes
- Aioli Sauce
- Tapenade Sauce*
- Sauce Vinaigrette
- Warm Dill Mayonnaise
- Cold Poached Salmon with Warm Dill Mayonnaise or Aioli Sauce
* These recipes are courtesy of the International Olive Oil Council.
© 1996, Steve K. Holzinger. All rights reserved.
This page originally published as part of the electronic Gourmet Guide between 1994 and 1998.
Copyright © 2007, Forkmedia LLC. All rights reserved.
This page modified February 2007