by Nancy Caivano
Peach, Plum and Raisin Risotto
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup Amaretto for 30 minutes
4 tbsp butter
1 lb peaches, peeled, pitted, and chopped
1/2 lb plums, peeled, pitted, and chopped
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups Arborio rice
2 tbsp vanilla
4-1/2 cups hot milk (kept very hot, but not scorched)
3 tbsp brown sugar, plus extra for passing
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp butter
Soak raisins in Amaretto for 30 minutes. Drain raisins reserving all of Amaretto.
In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add peaches and plums, and sprinkle with granulated sugar and salt. Cook until peaches and plums have lightly browned. Add raisins and rice, stirring constantly, and cook 5 minutes more, making sure rice does not brown. Add Amaretto and vanilla, stirring constantly, and let totally evaporate. When Amaretto is evaporated, begin adding milk 1/2 cup at a time, letting each addition evaporate before adding the next addition.
After fourth addition of milk is added, begin tasting rice. Rice should be al dente when done. You need to keep tasting rice, because, depending on rice, you may or may not have to use all of the milk.
After last addition of milk is absorbed, remove from heat, and stir in 3 tablespoons brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter. Serve warm, passing extra brown sugar. You can also serve it with whipped cream or creme anglaise if you like.
Substitute any fruit you might have on hand for the peaches or plums, like pears, apples, even bananas or berries. If using berries or bananas, add them when you add the raisins.
Progressive Meal Courses
- Spinach and Dried Tomato Arancini with Creamy Basil Pesto
- Seared Prosciutto and Mushroom Ravioli with Spicy Tomato Dipping Sauce
- Risotto with Chicken, Roasted Fennel and Boursin
- Risotto with Grilled Flank Steak and Mixed Mushrooms
- Shrimp and Toasted Corn Ravioli with Corn and Black Peppercorn Cream
- Baked Orzo with Olives and Mozzarella
- Risotto with Butternut Squash and Pancetta
- Risotto with Roasted Vegetables
- Asparagus, Fennel, Red Onion and Orange Salad
- Spinach and Apple Salad with Butter Toasted Almonds
- Endive, Roasted Pear and Stilton Salad
Copyright © 2001, Nancy Caivano. All rights reserved.
This page created June 2001