by Nancy Caivano
Pumpkin Pie Risotto
1 small pumpkin (up to 1 lb.)
9 tbsp. butter, divided
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled,
cored and finely chopped
2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup Amaretto
4-1/2 cups milk
3 tbsp. butter
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup toasted, sliced almonds
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place whole pumpkin on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake about 90 minutes or until tender, turning sheet occasionally. Remove from oven. When just cool enough to handle, peel pumpkin. The peel and stem should come away easily, sort of like a roasted pepper. Remove the seeds and stringy pulp with a large spoon. Place flesh into a food processor with 3 tbsp. butter, sugar, and cinnamon, and process until smooth. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat another 3-tbsp. butter over medium-high heat. Add apple. Cook until apple is just golden brown. Add rice, stirring constantly, and cook 5 minutes more, making sure rice does not brown. Add Amaretto, stirring constantly, and let totally evaporate. When Amaretto is evaporated, begin adding milk 1/2 cup at a time, letting each addition evaporate before adding the next addition.
After fourth addition of milk is added, begin tasting rice. Rice should be al dente when done. You need to keep tasting rice, because, depending on rice, you may or may not have to use all of the stock. When fourth addition of milk is absorbed, add pumpkin purée. Remove from heat, and stir in remaining 3-tbsp. butter, cream, nutmeg and almonds. Serve warm.
You can add diced pears, bananas, raisins or other dried fruit or even chocolate chips to this recipe. Make sure any dried fruit has been soaked in hot water, or brandy, Grand Marnier, Amaretto, etc. The fruit can be added with the pumpkin purée, either dried or fresh. The chocolate should be stirred in at the end.
Progressive Meal Courses
- Spinach and Dried Tomato Arancini with Creamy Basil Pesto
- Seared Prosciutto and Mushroom Ravioli with Spicy Tomato Dipping Sauce
- Risotto with Chicken, Roasted Fennel and Boursin
- Risotto with Grilled Flank Steak and Mixed Mushrooms
- Shrimp and Toasted Corn Ravioli with Corn and Black Peppercorn Cream
- Baked Orzo with Olives and Mozzarella
- Risotto with Butternut Squash and Pancetta
- Risotto with Roasted Vegetables
- Asparagus, Fennel, Red Onion and Orange Salad
- Spinach and Apple Salad with Butter Toasted Almonds
- Endive, Roasted Pear and Stilton Salad
Copyright © 2001, Nancy Caivano. All rights reserved.
This page created June 2001