by Nancy Caivano
1 lb lasagna noodles
3/4 cup butter, divided
10 Granny Smith apples,
peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup toasted, chopped almonds
1 tbsp plus 2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 lbs ricotta
1 tbsp vanilla
Dash of salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 cup mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cook lasagna noodles in a large pot of boiling, salted water, stirring often, according to package directions. Drain and toss with a touch of olive oil to prevent sticking.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium-high heat. Add apples, cover and cook 10 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in brown sugar, almonds and cinnamon. Stir until brown sugar melts and mixture is bubbly, then remove from heat and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, combine ricotta, egg, vanilla, a dash of salt and 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and combine well. Fold in mascarpone until well combined. Set aside.
Melt remaining butter. In small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, remaining granulated sugar and melted butter.
Spread a very small amount of the apple mixture in bottom of a large baking dish, coated very well with cooking spray. Layer with lasagna noodles. Spread with half of ricotta cheese mixture, and layer with more lasagne. Spread with half of remaining apple mixture and layer with more lasagne. Repeat layers, finishing cheese mixture and apple mixture and ending with lasagne. Top with breadcrumb mixture. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
Progressive Meal Courses
- Spinach and Dried Tomato Arancini with Creamy Basil Pesto
- Seared Prosciutto and Mushroom Ravioli with Spicy Tomato Dipping Sauce
- Risotto with Chicken, Roasted Fennel and Boursin
- Risotto with Grilled Flank Steak and Mixed Mushrooms
- Shrimp and Toasted Corn Ravioli with Corn and Black Peppercorn Cream
- Baked Orzo with Olives and Mozzarella
- Risotto with Butternut Squash and Pancetta
- Risotto with Roasted Vegetables
- Asparagus, Fennel, Red Onion and Orange Salad
- Spinach and Apple Salad with Butter Toasted Almonds
- Endive, Roasted Pear and Stilton Salad
- Apple Lasagna
- Dessert Lasagna
- Lasagne Verdura
- Lasagne with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe
- Lasagne with Ricotta, Spinach and Pumpkin
- Lasagne with Roasted Squash, Roasted Garlic and Herb Cream Sauce
- Lasagne with Portobello Mushrooms, Dried Tomatoes,
and Butternut Squash
Copyright © 2001, Nancy Caivano. All rights reserved.
This page created June 2001