by Nancy Caivano
Spinach and Apple Salad
with Butter Toasted Almonds
1 onion, minced
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp sugar, divided
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and Pepper
2 tbsp butter
3/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
1 large head spinach, washed well,
stems removed, leaves torn into bite size pieces
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
Combine onion, and vinegars in a small bowl. Mix in 2 tbsp sugar. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add almonds. Stir until almonds begin to color, about 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1 tbsp sugar over. Stir until sugar melts and begins to turn golden, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer almonds to bowl and cool.
Combine spinach and apples in a large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Mix in almonds. Serve immediately, passing remaining dressing.
Progressive Meal Courses
- Spinach and Dried Tomato Arancini with Creamy Basil Pesto
- Seared Prosciutto and Mushroom Ravioli with Spicy Tomato Dipping Sauce
- Risotto with Chicken, Roasted Fennel and Boursin
- Risotto with Grilled Flank Steak and Mixed Mushrooms
- Shrimp and Toasted Corn Ravioli with Corn and Black Peppercorn Cream
- Baked Orzo with Olives and Mozzarella
- Risotto with Butternut Squash and Pancetta
- Risotto with Roasted Vegetables
- Asparagus, Fennel, Red Onion and Orange Salad
- Spinach and Apple Salad with Butter Toasted Almonds
- Endive, Roasted Pear and Stilton Salad
Copyright © 2001, Nancy Caivano. All rights reserved.
This page created May 2001