by Nancy Caivano
Endive, Roasted Pear
and Stilton Salad
1 piece star anise
1/3 cup olive oil
3 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp port
Salt and Pepper
2 firm-ripe pears (preferably Bosc)
6 cups assorted baby greens, or pkg. mesclun greens
4 Belgian endives
6 oz Stilton cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
(you can use any other blue cheese also)
Chop shallot and crush star anise. In a blender, blend shallot, oil, orange juice and port until emulsified. Transfer mixture to a small bowl or jar and add star anise and salt and pepper to taste. Chill dressing, covered, at least 4 hours. Pour dressing through a sieve into a bowl and discard solids. Whisk dressing until combined well.
Preheat oven to 400º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Halve and core pears. Cut pears lengthwise into 1/4" thick slices and arrange in one layer on baking sheet. Roast pears in middle of oven until pale golden, about 10 minutes and cool on baking sheet.
Wash and spin-dry baby greens and place in a large serving bowl. Thinly slice endives and lay them on top of greens. Add pears and Stilton, and drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately, passing extra dressing.
Progressive Meal Courses
- Spinach and Dried Tomato Arancini with Creamy Basil Pesto
- Seared Prosciutto and Mushroom Ravioli with Spicy Tomato Dipping Sauce
- Risotto with Chicken, Roasted Fennel and Boursin
- Risotto with Grilled Flank Steak and Mixed Mushrooms
- Shrimp and Toasted Corn Ravioli with Corn and Black Peppercorn Cream
- Baked Orzo with Olives and Mozzarella
- Risotto with Butternut Squash and Pancetta
- Risotto with Roasted Vegetables
- Asparagus, Fennel, Red Onion and Orange Salad
- Spinach and Apple Salad with Butter Toasted Almonds
- Endive, Roasted Pear and Stilton Salad
Copyright © 2001, Nancy Caivano. All rights reserved.
This page created May 2001