by Nancy Caivano
Red Onion and Orange Salad
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 tbsp basil, julienne
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp parsley, chopped
24 asparagus spears, tough ends snapped off, cut into 2" pieces
1 large fennel bulb, greens removed, and thinly sliced
3 red onions, thinly sliced
Whisk mayonnaise, buttermilk, basil, olive oil, vinegar and parsley until well blended. Chill, well covered, until cold.
Steam asparagus about 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse under cold running water until cool. Drain.
Cut peel and white pith from oranges. Using a small sharp knife cut between membranes to release segments.
In a large bowl, toss asparagus, fennel, oranges, and red onion. Toss with about 1/2 cup dressing, or more to taste. Pass with remaining dressing.
Progressive Meal Courses
- Spinach and Dried Tomato Arancini with Creamy Basil Pesto
- Seared Prosciutto and Mushroom Ravioli with Spicy Tomato Dipping Sauce
- Risotto with Chicken, Roasted Fennel and Boursin
- Risotto with Grilled Flank Steak and Mixed Mushrooms
- Shrimp and Toasted Corn Ravioli with Corn and Black Peppercorn Cream
- Baked Orzo with Olives and Mozzarella
- Risotto with Butternut Squash and Pancetta
- Risotto with Roasted Vegetables
- Asparagus, Fennel, Red Onion and Orange Salad
- Spinach and Apple Salad with Butter Toasted Almonds
- Endive, Roasted Pear and Stilton Salad
Copyright © 2001, Nancy Caivano. All rights reserved.
This page created May 2001