by Nancy Caivano
Risotto with Grilled Flank Steak
and Mixed Mushrooms
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup plus about 3 tbsp olive oil
1 lb flank steak
Salt and Pepper
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
1 lb mixed mushrooms, chopped (variety your preference)
2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups simmering chicken stock
3 tbsp butter
3/4 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese (or Parmesan)
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
Combine apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup olive oil. Place steak in a zip-top plastic bag. Add apple cider mixture and close, sealing out air. Marinate in the refrigerator, 1 hour, turning bag every 15 minutes.
Spray grill rack with cooking spray and preheat grill to medium-high heat. Remove steak from marinade, shaking off excess and discard marinade. Brush steak with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until medium-rare. Remove to a cutting board and slice. Reserve all juices from meat in a small metal cup.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat 3 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, shallot and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are just beginning to brown. Add rice, stirring constantly, and cook 5 minutes more, making sure rice does not brown. Add wine, stirring constantly, and let totally evaporate. When wine is evaporated, begin adding stock 1/2 cup at a time, letting each addition evaporate before adding the next addition.
After fourth addition of stock is added, begin tasting rice. Rice should be al dente when done. You need to keep tasting rice, because, depending on rice, you may or may not have to use all of the stock. Add steak and steak juices after fourth addition of stock is absorbed.
After last addition of stock is absorbed, remove from heat, and stir in butter, Romano, parsley, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Progressive Meal Courses
- Spinach and Dried Tomato Arancini with Creamy Basil Pesto
- Seared Prosciutto and Mushroom Ravioli with Spicy Tomato Dipping Sauce
- Risotto with Chicken, Roasted Fennel and Boursin
- Risotto with Grilled Flank Steak and Mixed Mushrooms
- Shrimp and Toasted Corn Ravioli with Corn and Black Peppercorn Cream
- Baked Orzo with Olives and Mozzarella
- Risotto with Butternut Squash and Pancetta
- Risotto with Roasted Vegetables
- Asparagus, Fennel, Red Onion and Orange Salad
- Spinach and Apple Salad with Butter Toasted Almonds
- Endive, Roasted Pear and Stilton Salad
This page created March 2001