by Nancy Caivano
Risotto with Chicken,
Roasted Fennel and Boursin
1 large fennel bulb,
greens and stem removed, halved
1/4 cup plus 6 tbsp olive oil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
Salt and Pepper
All purpose flour
1/4 cup chicken stock
4 cups simmering chicken stock
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped (or 1 tbsp jar chopped garlic)
1 leek, washed well and thinly sliced
2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 tbsp butter
3/4 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese (or Parmesan)
1/2 cup Boursin cheese
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
Preheat oven to 375º degrees F. Coat fennel with 1/4 cup olive oil. Wrap in foil and roast until very soft. When cool enough to handle, chop coarsely. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Heat 3 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. sauté until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain. Add 1/4 cup of chicken stock to pan to deglaze, scraping pan to remove any browned bits. Add to the 4 cups of simmering chicken stock.
In a large saucepan, heat remaining 3 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and leek. Cook until onion is translucent. Add rice, stirring constantly, and cook 5 minutes more, making sure rice does not brown. Add wine, stirring constantly, and let totally evaporate. When wine is evaporated, begin adding stock 1/2 cup at a time, letting each addition evaporate before adding the next addition.
After fourth addition of stock is added, begin tasting rice. Rice should be al dente when done. You need to keep tasting rice, because, depending on rice, you may or may not have to use all of the stock. When fourth addition of stock is absorbed, add chicken.
After last addition of stock is absorbed, remove from heat, and stir in butter, Romano, Boursin, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Progressive Meal Courses
- Spinach and Dried Tomato Arancini with Creamy Basil Pesto
- Seared Prosciutto and Mushroom Ravioli with Spicy Tomato Dipping Sauce
- Risotto with Chicken, Roasted Fennel and Boursin
- Risotto with Grilled Flank Steak and Mixed Mushrooms
- Shrimp and Toasted Corn Ravioli with Corn and Black Peppercorn Cream
- Baked Orzo with Olives and Mozzarella
- Risotto with Butternut Squash and Pancetta
- Risotto with Roasted Vegetables
- Asparagus, Fennel, Red Onion and Orange Salad
- Spinach and Apple Salad with Butter Toasted Almonds
- Endive, Roasted Pear and Stilton Salad
This page created March 2001