by Nancy Caivano
Risotto with Roasted Beets and Romano
4 oz wedge of Pecorino Romano cheese (or Parmigiano-Reggiano)
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups simmering chicken stock
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F. Trim the beets. Place on a large sheet of aluminum foil and fold the ends to seal. Bake in a small roasting pan until tender when pierced, 45 minutes to an hour. Let cool, peel off the skins, chop the beets and set aside.
Using a vegetable peeler, shave off thin curls of the Romano, using about half of the wedge. Grate the remaining cheese and set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat 3 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent. Add rice, stirring constantly, and cook 5 minutes more, making sure rice does not brown. Add wine, stirring constantly, and let totally evaporate. When wine is evaporated, begin adding stock 1/2 cup at a time, letting each addition evaporate before adding the next addition.
After fourth addition of stock is added, begin tasting rice. Rice should be al dente when done. You need to keep tasting rice, because, depending on rice, you may or may not have to use all of the stock. When fourth addition of stock is absorbed, add beets.
After last addition of stock is absorbed, remove from heat, and stir in butter, parsley and grated Romano. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, topping each portion with shaved Romano.
Progressive Meal Courses
- Spinach and Dried Tomato Arancini with Creamy Basil Pesto
- Seared Prosciutto and Mushroom Ravioli with Spicy Tomato Dipping Sauce
- Risotto with Chicken, Roasted Fennel and Boursin
- Risotto with Grilled Flank Steak and Mixed Mushrooms
- Shrimp and Toasted Corn Ravioli with Corn and Black Peppercorn Cream
- Baked Orzo with Olives and Mozzarella
- Risotto with Butternut Squash and Pancetta
- Risotto with Roasted Vegetables
- Asparagus, Fennel, Red Onion and Orange Salad
- Spinach and Apple Salad with Butter Toasted Almonds
- Endive, Roasted Pear and Stilton Salad
This page created February 2001