By Nancy Caivano
Warm Orzo Salad
with Shrimp and Sage
1 lb orzo (or other small pasta)
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped (or 1 tbsp jar minced garlic)
1 lb small or medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup minced sage
3/4 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese (or Parmesan)
Cook orzo in boiling, salted water until al dente; drain.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion begins to brown. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp turn pink and begin to brown. Add tomatoes and cook 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat; add parsley and season with salt and pepper.
In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add sage and cook until butter turns golden brown, being careful not to burn it. Remove from heat immediately.
Return drained orzo to pot. Add contents of skillet and combine well. Add butter and Romano cheese, toss well and serve immediately.
Pasta Risotto and You
- Pasta Salad with Grilled Lemon Chicken, Roasted Peppers and Goat Cheese
- Warm Pasta Salad with Grilled Marinated Eggplant, Sausage,
- Warm Orzo Salad with Shrimp and Sage
- Risotto Salad with Grilled Asparagus, Dried Tomatoes
and Smoked Mozzarella
- Risotto Salad with Grilled Shrimp, Zucchini and Tomatoes
- Warm Risotto Salad with Peas, Pancetta and Ricotta
- Strawberry—Lemon Napoleons
- Summer Berry Cobblers with Lemon-Buttermilk-Almond Ice Cream
This page created July 2000