By Nancy Caivano
Banana Layer Cake
with Amaretto Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 1 layer cake
2-1/4 cups sifted cake flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup very ripe banana, mashed (about 2 large)
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 tbsp vanilla
2 tbsp amaretto
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
4 cups confectioners sugar
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter
1 tbsp vanilla
3 tbsp amaretto
Pinch of salt
3 large firm-ripe bananas
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray three 8-inch round cake pans very well with cooking spray.
Into a bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. In a small bowl whisk together mashed banana, yogurt, vanilla and amaretto. In a bowl of an electric mixer beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy and beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in flour and banana mixtures alternately, beginning and ending with flour mixture and stirring after each addition until just combined (do not overmix).
Divide batter evenly among pans, smoothing tops, and bake in oven, about 18 to 20 minutes total, or until layers are springy to the touch and a tester comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on racks 10 minutes. Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks to cool completely.
Into a large bowl sift confectioners sugar. In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat together cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy and beat in vanilla, amaretto and a pinch of salt. Beat in confectioners sugar, a little at a time, and beat frosting until smooth.
Cut bananas diagonally into thin slices. Put a cake layer on serving plate and spread with a thin coating of frosting. Arrange one layer of banana slices on frosting, overlapping them slightly and top with second cake layer. Spread cake layer with another thin coat of frosting and arrange one more layer of banana slices in same manner. Top bananas with remaining cake layer and spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
Pasta Risotto and You
- Pasta with Spinach, and White Bean Ragu
- Spicy Baked Pasta with Prosciutto, Tomatoes and Mushrooms
- Risotto with Balsamic Roasted Vegetables
- Risotto with Sausage, Roasted Fennel and Tomatoes
- Lemon Chicken Ravioli with Tomatoes and Artichokes
- Roasted Loin of Pork with Mushroom Stuffing and Burgundy Sauce
- Potato and Tomato Gratin with Goat Cheese and Olives
- Creamy Artichoke Hearts and Pancetta
- Romaine, Fennel and Pear Salad with Apple-Cider Vinaigrette and Walnuts
- Chocolate Cake with Caramel, Coconut and Almonds
- Banana Layer Cake with Amaretto Cream Cheese Frosting
This page created February 2000