By Nancy Caivano
Endive, Roasted Pear
and Gorgonzola Salad
1 piece star anise
1/3 cup olive oil
3 tbsp orange juice
1 tsp port
6 cups assorted baby greens,
or packaged mesclun greens
2 firm-ripe pears
(preferably Bosc or Red Pears)
4 Belgian endives
6 oz Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
Chop shallot and crush star anise. In a blender, blend shallot, oil, orange juice and port until emulsified. Transfer mixture to a small bowl or jar and add star anise and salt and pepper to taste. Chill dressing, covered, at least 4 hours. Pour dressing through a sieve into a bowl and discard solids. Whisk dressing until combined well.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. And line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Halve and core pears. Cut pears lengthwise into 1/4" thick slices and arrange in one layer on baking sheet. Roast pears in middle of oven until pale golden, about 10 minutes and cool on baking sheet.
Wash and spin-dry baby greens and place in a large serving bowl. Thinly slice endives and add them. Toss well. Add pears and Gorgonzola, drizzle with dressing, and toss well. Serve immediately, passing extra dressing.
Pasta Risotto and You
- Eggplant, Mixed Roasted Pepper and Mozzarella Terrine
- Seared Potato and Carrot Gnocchi with Tomato-Mushroom Cream
- Standing Rib Roast with Portobello Mushroom Sauce
- Risotto with Lemon and Basil
- Sautéed Spinach with Dried Tomatoes and Orange
- Fennel with Tomatoes and Raisins
- Endive, Roasted Pear and Gorgonzola Salad
- Romano Cheese Rolls
- Mascarpone Cheesecake with Balsamic Marinated Strawberries
- Polenta Cake with Lemon and Raspberries
This page created December 1999