By Nancy Caivano
with Balsamic Marinated Strawberries
Serves 8 to 10.
1-1/2 cups ground crumbs from almond biscotti
(about 6 ounces—you can use your own, and vary the flavor)
6 tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 lb cream cheese, room temperature
8 oz mascarpone cheese
3 cups quartered hulled strawberries
(about two 12-ounce baskets)
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Tightly wrap outside of 9" springform pan with 2-3/4"-high sides with 2 layers of heavy-duty foil. Mix biscotti crumbs and butter in bowl. Press mixture evenly onto bottom (not sides) of prepared pan. Chill 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, mascarpone and 1-1/4 cups sugar in large bowl until smooth. Add eggs 1 at a time; beat just until blended. Spread cheese mixture evenly over crust in pan. Place springform pan in large roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of springform pan. Bake until cheesecake is golden and center of cake moves only slightly when pan is shaken, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
Transfer cake to rack; cool 1 hour. Chill overnight.
Mix strawberries, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar and vinegar in large bowl. Let stand at room temperature until juices form, about 30 minutes.
Cut cake into wedges. Spoon strawberries alongside and serve.
Mascarpone is Italian cream cheese. It is usually sold at Italian markets and some supermarkets. If unavailable in your area, blend 8 ounces cream cheese with 1/4 cup heavy cream and 2-1/2 tablespoon sour cream.
Pasta Risotto and You
- Eggplant, Mixed Roasted Pepper and Mozzarella Terrine
- Seared Potato and Carrot Gnocchi with Tomato-Mushroom Cream
- Standing Rib Roast with Portobello Mushroom Sauce
- Risotto with Lemon and Basil
- Sautéed Spinach with Dried Tomatoes and Orange
- Fennel with Tomatoes and Raisins
- Endive, Roasted Pear and Gorgonzola Salad
- Romano Cheese Rolls
- Mascarpone Cheesecake with Balsamic Marinated Strawberries
- Polenta Cake with Lemon and Raspberries
This page created December 1999