Paella de la Casa
by Kate Heyhoe
I call this my "paella of the house" because it was first made with ingredients on hand, inspired from a more authentic recipe for "Paella Valenciana" by Penelope Casas. If I have them around, I might also combine ingredients like smoked sausage, chorizo, rabbit, pork, green beans, red bell pepper, green onions, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, white beans, lima beans, chickpeas, parsley, thyme, marjoram or a hearty mix of shellfish and seafood.
2-1/2 pounds chicken thighs (about 5)
3-1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon crumbled thread saffron
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced bell pepper (small dice)
1/2 red onion
5 cloves minced garlic
1-1/2 ounces finely diced prosciutto
2 teaspoons paprika (sweet or mildly hot)
1-1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 cups frozen peas
2-1/2 cups Arborio rice
2 sprigs fresh rosemary (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle with salt.
2. Heat the chicken broth and wine in a small saucepan until boiling. Crumble in the saffron, turn off the heat and cover until ready to use.
3. While the broth warms, heat the olive oil in a pan—use a paella pan if you have it; I use a Dutch oven or a large heatproof frying or large gratin pan. Brown the chicken on both sides. Remove the chicken and set aside.
4. Add the green pepper, onion, garlic and prosciutto to the pan. Sauté on medium about 5 minutes. Stir in the paprika, tomatoes, and peas. (The paella may be made in advance to this point.) Stir in the rice, coating thoroughly.
5. Reheat the chicken broth to boiling. Stir into the rice. Cook on a low boil until the mixture stops being soupy, but leave enough liquid to cook the rice through as it bakes. Nestle the chicken pieces into the rice, submerging them completely. Arrange the rosemary on top.
6. Bake the paella uncovered about 10 minutes, until the rice is almost done and just moist. Remove the pan from the oven, cover and let rest 10 minutes. Remove the rosemary and serve.
- Kate's Global Kitchen: Paella
- Paella de Puerco y Espinaca (Pork and Spinach Paella)
- Filipino Paella with Shrimp and Chorizo
- Paella Sauté with Saffron
- Spanish Paella Valenciana
- Spanish Paella Recipe
- Weight Watcher's Paella
- Fiesta Paella with Chicken and Shellfish
Copyright © 2002, Kate Heyhoe. All rights reserved.
This page created January 2002