Turkey + 3 Ingredients =
by Kate Heyhoe
(Don't miss our special Thanksgiving Headquarters: A to Z)
You slaved in the kitchen for hours or even days preparing the perfect Thanksgiving meal. Let's face it: you're pooped!
Leftover turkey is great for just hacking off, sprinkling with salt and munching on, standing around the kitchen with family and friends. But sometimes you want a more substantial meal using the leftover bird, such as Rick Rodgers' Turkey Tetrazzini Gratin or a Mongolian Turkey and Broccoli Stir-Fry. Problem is, these recipes require getting back into the kitchen in a serious way, cutting and chopping and cooking again.
How about a simpler meal, one that comes together quickly and painlessly, but tastes like a world-class specialty? If this idea sounds appealing to you, consider what three ingredients you might pair with turkey to come up with a complete meal.
The "Turkey Plus Three-Ingredient" List
I've created two turkey-combo's to try: Mooshu Turkey and Turkey in Saffron Cream Sauce. But the possibilities are endless. Whether you pick stir-fry, sauté, hot casseroles, or cold salads, consider combining these ingredients with diced, cooked turkey:
- Red enchilada sauce, grated cheese, corn tortillas = Turkey
- Chicken broth, frozen wontons, bok choy or spinach = Turkey
- Ziti pasta, spaghetti sauce, grated mozzarella = Baked Ziti
- Penne pasta, pesto sauce, grated Romano cheese = Turkey Pesto
- Potato, onion and bell pepper = Turkey Hash
- Celery, sour cream, curry powder = Curried Turkey
- Crusty bread, cheddar cheese, sliced tomatoes = Turkey-Chedder
- Pears, gorgonzola cheese, Italian salad dressing = Turkey Pear
- Apples, pecans, blue cheese dressing = Turkey Pecan
- Barbecue sauce, toasted onion rolls, onion = BBQ Turkey
- Canned hominy, canned diced green chiles, chicken broth = New
Mexican Turkey Posole
- Grilled eggplant slices, spaghetti sauce, mozzarella =
- Creamed corn, kielbasa sausage, chicken broth = Turkey-Corn
- Mustard, Cream, Pasta—Turkey and Pasta Dijon
- Chinese 5-Spice, napa cabbage, green onion = 5-Spice Stir
- Teriyaki sauce, steamed white rice, shredded napa cabbage = Turkey-Teriyaki Rice Bowls
These are the basics, and a simple touch of a flavored pasta, sesame oil, garlic or spices can further heighten the flavors without a lot of effort.
Kate's Recipes: "Turkey + 3 Ingredients..."
More Recipes Using Turkey Leftovers:
Kate's Global Kitchen for November, 2000:
11/04/00 My, My American Pie:
11/11/00 Stuffing Tips and Free-Form Techniques
11/18/00 Better Tasting Turkeys: Drowning and Browning the Bird
11/25/00 Turkey + 3 Ingredients = Luscious Leftovers
Holiday Special: Thanksgiving Headquarters: A to Z
Copyright © 2000, Kate Heyhoe. All rights reserved.
This page created November 2000. Modified November 2006.