Green Chile Cheese Puffs
Makes about 2 cups spread,
enough for two baking sheets or more of "Puffs"
Forget plain nachos! This elegant alternative has its own zippy taste and is just as easy. You can also prepare the cheese mixture in advance and refrigerate until ready to spread and cook.
Ingredients and steps:
- tortilla chips or thinly sliced sourdough baguette
- 4 fire-roasted green chiles, peeled,
- seeded and diced (or one 7-oz. can diced roasted green chiles)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 finely chopped green onions
- (about 1/2 cup, white and green sections both)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- dash or two Green Tabasco (optional)
- salt to taste
- coarsely ground fresh pepper
Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil for easy clean up. Arrange tortilla chips or baguette slices in single layer on foil-lined sheets.
Combine remaining ingredients except for pepper. Spread thinly on chips or sliced baguette. Top with coarsely ground fresh pepper. Bake 5 to 8 minutes or until bubbly, rearranging baking sheets for even cooking halfway through. (Check early to make sure the chips aren't browning too fast.)
Serving suggestion: Top each chip with a bit of diced tart mango just before serving.
Copyright © 1999, Kate Heyhoe. All rights reserved.
This page created June 1999