Grilled Greek Shrimp in Ouzo
by Kate Heyhoe
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
3 tablespoons ouzo or other licorice-flavored liqueur
dash crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 pound jumbo or extra large shrimp in shell
3 slices thinly cut ham (optional)
1/2 loaf thin baguette, cut into 1/2-inch wide rounds
bamboo skewers, soaked in water.
1. Mix together all marinade ingredients and add the shrimp to coat. Marinate shrimp 1 hour or more, refrigerated.
2. If using the ham, slice into thin strips. Thread the shrimp on skewers with a bit of the ham between each shrimp.
3. Thread the bread on skewers, piercing through the crusts so the cut surfaces are exposed to the grill. Moisten each side of the bread with the marinade.
4. Grill the shrimp and the bread until the shrimp are just cooked and the bread slightly toasted on each side (the shrimp will take less time than the bread, so start the bread skewers first).
Serve the shrimp and bread with a white bean salad, topped with fresh chopped tomatoes and basil.
- Grilled Greek Shrimp in Ouzo
- Mesclun Greens with Kumquat-Lemon Vinaigrette
- Wilted Ouzo Onions
Copyright © 1999, Kate Heyhoe. All rights reserved.
This page created May 1999