Cutie Pies: 40 Sweet, Savory, and Adorable Recipes by Dani Cone, includes recipes like All-Butter Pie Crust; The Very Best Apple Cutie Pies; Chocolate Cream Pie; and Just Right Strawberry-Rhubarb-Ginger Flipsides.
Makes 10 flipsides (or 1 double-crust 9-inch pie, 1 double-crust 7-inch deep-dish pie, 16 cutie pies, 36 petit-5s, 8 piejars, 50 piepops)
I look forward to summer all year round for rhubarb season. You can often find frozen rhubarb in your market, which works fine, too, but nothing beats fresh. This recipe can be pretty juicy, so use all the cornstarch.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place a rack in the center of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, a silicone mat, or lightly spray with nonstick spray.
2. To make the filling, in a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, lemon juice, and vanilla.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, ginger, cinnamon, and 3 tablespoons of the cornstarch.
4. Pour the sugar mixture over the rhubarb mixture, and toss until the fruit is well coated. Set aside for 30 to 40 minutes.
5. Strain the fruit-sugar mixture in a colander, and let it sit in the colander for 10 minutes.
6. Return the strained fruit-sugar mixture to the large bowl, and add the remaining tablespoon of the cornstarch.
7. To make the crust, follow the All-Butter Crust recipe and roll out the dough per the instructions.
8. Cut 10 (6-inch) circles from the dough. Reroll the dough to make all the circles, being careful to avoid overhandling the dough. Brush each circle lightly with the beaten egg, making sure to brush right to the edges.
9. Spoon the filling evenly onto the center of the 10 circles. Pick up a circle so that it's lying flat(ish) in one hand. With the other hand, fold the circle up (like a taco) and tightly pinch the edges flat together to seal the crust, starting at one corner and pinching around to the other corner. Lay the circle down on the work surface, and with a fluted-edge pastry wheel, cut around the outermost edge to give the crust a neat finish. (This edge is for looks, not to seal the crust, so make sure you've thoroughly pinched the crust together.) Make 3 small slits in the top side of the Flipside, and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat this process for each of the 10 Flipsides.
10. Lightly brush the Flipsides with the remaining beaten egg.
11. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the crust is golden.
Buy Cutie Pies
This page created December 2011
Copyright © 1994-2018,