Cherry Pecan Shortbread Squares
Makes 24 squares
(see Cutting Guide, page 10 of the book)
Preparation: 20 minutes
Baking: 30 minutes
Here's a recipe based on a soft shortbread dough. It's enhanced with favorite holiday ingredients—candied cherries and pecans.
When shortbread contains a significant quantity of chunky ingredients, such as the pecans and cherries in this recipe, precutting isn't necessary.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C)
13- by 9-inch (3 L) cake pan, ungreased
- 1 cup butter, softened 250 mL
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar 150 mL
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 500 mL
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest 15 mL
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans 175 mL
- 2/3 cup chopped red candied (glace) cherries 150 mL
1. In a bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, sugar and egg yolks until smooth and creamy. Stir in flour and lemon zest, mixing well. Stir in pecans and cherries, mixing well. Using your hands, knead to form a smooth dough. Press evenly into pan.
2. Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
Let cool completely in pan on rack. Cut into squares.
Add 4 oz (125 g) chopped bittersweet chocolate to dough. Replace lemon zest with 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla.
Bake Something Great!:
400 Bars, Squares & Cookies
- by Jill Snider
- Robert Rose 2011
- 480 pages; Hardcover; 80 photos; $29.95 US
- ISBN: 0778802817
- ISBN-13: 9780778802815
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created November 2011