Halloween Pumpkin Cookies
Makes about 5 dozen cookies
Preparation: 25 minutes
Baking: 15 minutes
I'm always looking for new ways to use pumpkin at Halloween, and this combination with white chocolate and macadamia nuts is a real keeper. It will extend far beyond my Halloween cookie baking.
Be sure to buy pure pumpkin. The pumpkin pie filling has sugar and spices already added to it.
Soft cookies like these should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. They also freeze well.
When measuring brown sugar, press it firmly into a dry measuring cup. When turned out on a flat surface it should hold its shape.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
Cookie sheet, greased or lined with parchment paper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 500 mL
- 1 tsp baking soda 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon 10 mL
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg 1 mL
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves 1 mL
- 1 cup butter, softened 250 mL
- 1 cup packed brown sugar 250 mL
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling) 250 mL
- 1 egg
- 2 cups white chocolate chips 500 mL
- 1 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts 250 mL
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds 125 mL
1. On a sheet of waxed paper or in a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, brown sugar, pumpkin and egg until smooth, about 3 minutes. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture, beating until blended. With a wooden spoon, stir in white chocolate chips, macadamia nuts and pumpkin seeds.
3. Drop by tablespoonfuls (15 mL) about 2 inches (5 cm) apart on prepared cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 11 to 15 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes on sheet, then transfer to a rack and cool completely.
Replace pumpkin seeds with sunflower seeds or omit completely.
Replace macadamia nuts with almonds.
Bake Something Great!:
400 Bars, Squares & Cookies
- by Jill Snider
- Robert Rose 2011
- 480 pages; Hardcover; 80 photos; $29.95 US
- ISBN: 0778802817
- ISBN-13: 9780778802815
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created November 2011