Spice Dreams: Flavored Ice Creams and Other Frozen Treats by Sara Engram, Katie Luber, Kimberly Toqe, includes recipes like Brown Sugar and Spiced Banana Ice Cream; Cardamom Snickerdoodle Ice-Cream Sandwiches; and Mango Sorbet with Cumin and Cinnamon.
with Cumin and Cinnamon
Makes about 3 cups
This recipe for mango sorbet is a winner even without the spices. But cinnamon and cumin lend an appealingly adventurous streak to mangoes, so it's a shame not to let the spices shine. We like the full teaspoon of each spice, but it's fine to start with 1/2 teaspoon.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 mangoes, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Combine the sugar, water, and salt in a medium, heavy saucepan. Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring gently, until the sugar has completely dissolved and the syrup is clear, about 5 minutes.
Flavored Ice Creams and Other Frozen Treats
- by Sara Engram, Katie Luber, Kimberly Toqe
- Andrews McMeel Publishing 2010
- Hardcover; 112 pages; $16.99
- ISBN: 0740780166
- ISBN-13: 978-0-7407-8016-5
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Brown Sugar and Spiced Banana Ice Cream
- Cardamom Snickerdoodle Ice-Cream Sandwiches
- Mango Sorbet with Cumin and Cinnamon
This page created October 2010