Desserts 4 Today: Flavorful Desserts with Just Four Ingredients by Abigail Johnson Dodge, includes recipes like Kiwi Lemon Mousse; Chewy Pine Nut-Almond Drops; and Maple-Glazed Figs with Hazelnut Mascarpone.
Kiwi Lemon Mousse
- Heavy cream, 1 cup
- Lemon curd, 2/3 cup
- Kiwis medium, ripe, 2, peeled and coarsely chopped
- Soft ladyfingers, 6 whole, separated
1. Have ready 4 serving bowls or glasses and make room in the fridge. Set aside about 1/4 cup chopped kiwi for garnish.
2. Put the heavy cream in a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until firm peaks form when the beaters are lifted (don't forget to stop the mixer before lifting!).
3. Add about two-thirds of the lemon curd into the whipped cream. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in until well blended. Add the remaining curd and fold in just until some yellow streaks are still visible.
4. Arrange 3 ladyfingers, rounded side facing out, around the inside of each bowl or glass. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the cream into the serving bowls or glasses. Top with about 2 tablespoons of the chopped kiwi. Spoon about 3 tablespoons cream over the kiwis. Repeat layering with the remaining kiwi and cream. You'll have a total of 3 layers of cream and 2 layers of kiwi, not including the garnish. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve or for up to 1 day. Serve chilled, with the remaining kiwi on top.
In place of the lemon curd, switch in one of the following:
- Orange curd, 2/3 cup
- Grapefruit curd, 2/3 cup
In place of the ladyfingers, switch in the following:
- Pound cake, 12 slices (2 inches long and about 1/2 inch thick)
Gussy It Up
This whip is no-bake so use fun glass stemware or parfait glasses for a festive look.
Just before serving, drizzle with a little Easy Butterscotch Sauce (pages 178-179 of the book) or one of the caramel sauces (page 179).
Desserts 4 Today:
Flavorful Desserts with Just Four Ingredients
- by Abigail Johnson Dodge
- The Taunton Press 2010
- $17.95; Paperback Original
- ISBN: 1600852947
- ISBN-13: 978-1600852947
- Reprinted by permission.
This page created November 2010