Apple Pie with Cheese Pastry
Apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze.
This is an old Saxon proverb and they certainly knew what they were talking about. This pure apple pie is complemented by the best ever pastry. The old combination of cheese and apple makes absolute sense and, believe me, is wonderful. Use Cox's or Braeburn apples for flavor and because they hold their shape and a good cooking apple to make the delicious sauce.
for the pastry
- 2-2/3 cups/350g all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup/150g superfine sugar
- 1-1/4 sticks/150g butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup/50g finely grated mature Cheddar cheese
for the filling
- 4 large cooking apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (about 2lb/900g)
- 1/2lb/2S0g Cox's or Braeburn apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2/3 cup/150g superfine sugar, plus extra for dusting
- juice of 1/2 lemon
Place the flour in a large mixing bowl, make a well in the center and tip in the sugar. Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub it into the flour and sugar until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the egg yolks and cheese, adding a little water if the mixture seems too dry. Use your hands to form the mixture into a smooth dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
Place the apples in a saucepan with the sugar, lemon juice, and 2 tbsp water and cook for about 15 minutes until softened. Leave to cool.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place a sturdy baking sheet in the oven to heat.
Rollout two-thirds of the pastry to 1/4in/5mm thick to fit a 9in/23cm pie pan or plate. Fill with the cooled apple mixture. Rollout the remaining pastry to make the lid, brush the edges of the pastry shell with water and top with the lid, pressing down to seal. Trim with a knife to make a neat edge and crimp the edges with your fingertips, if you like, make a hole in the top of the pastry and dust with superfine sugar. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Leave to stand for about 15 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving with cream.
- by Angela Boggiano
- Mitchell Beazley/An imprint of Octopus Books 2009
- $16.99/$18.99 in Canada; 192 pages with full-color photographs throughout
- ISBN: 184533499X
- ISBN-13: 9781845334994
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created July 2009