Makes 24 croissants
Layer upon layer of butter and dough produce the ultimate French breakfast treat. Be sure to read "A Primer on Laminated Doughs" in the book for tips that will help you turn out beautiful croissants.
- Unbleached all-purpose flour for rolling
- 1 recipe Croissants, prepared through step 9
- 1 recipe Almond Filling (see below)
- 1 cup (3 ounces) raw sliced almonds (natural or blanched)
Two Baking Sheets Lined with Parchment Paper, or Two Silicone Mats
1. Begin Step 10 of Croissants recipe, but don't slit the dough triangles as described in the second sentence. Place a tablespoon of almond filling 1/2 inch from the bottom of the triangle. Use your finger or the spoon to gently smear the filling in a small triangle, keeping it centered on the dough and away from the edges.
2. Roll the dough as described in Step 10, rolling the bottom of the stretched triangle (without slit) toward the tip. Brush with egg wash and proof as in Step 11. After brushing with egg wash for the second time as in Step 12, sprinkle the sliced almonds over the top of each croissant. Bake as directed.
Makes about 1-1/2 cups
This filling is divine in Danish and in croissants, and takes a mere 5 minutes to make in the food processor.
- 4 ounces almond paste
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick; 4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons (1-1/2 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
Food Processor Fitted with a Metal Blade or Stand Mixer Fitted with a Paddle Attachment, Silicone or Rubber Spatula
1. Break or cut the almond paste into 10 to 12 pieces and put them in the bowl of a food processor. Add the sugar and process until the almond paste is cut into tiny pieces, 20 to 30 seconds. Add the butter and process until well blended, another 20 to 30 seconds. Scrape down the bowl.
2. Add the egg, lemon zest, and vanilla extract and process for about 10 seconds. Add the flour and process for 10 seconds. Scrape down the bowl and make sure everything is evenly mixed. Transfer to an airtight container until needed.
The Art and Soul of Baking
- by Sur La Table and Cindy Mushet
- Andrews McMeel Publishing 2008
- Hardcover; U.S.: $40.00 Canada: $44.00
- ISBN: 0740773348
- ISBN-13: 978-0-7407-7334-1
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
Special Valentines Recipes
This page created December 2008