Crêpes Soufflés Suzette
Yield: 6 portions
|Orange juice||8 oz||250 g|
|Cornstarch||1 oz||25 g|
|Water||as needed||as needed|
|Orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier||1.67 oz||50 g|
|Vanilla extract||1/2 tsp||2 g|
|Egg whites||4 oz||125 g|
|Sugar||2.5 oz||75 g|
|Confectioners' sugar||as needed||as needed|
|Sauce Suzette||8 oz||240 mL|
|Candied orange zest||as desired||as desired|
|Berries or other fruit garnish||as desired||as desired|
1. Heat the orange juice.
2. Mix the cornstarch with enough cold water to make a smooth slurry. Stir into the orange juice and cook, stirring, until thickened.
3. Add the sugar, liqueur, and vanilla. Boil to dissolve the sugar.
4. Cool the mixture.
5. Whip the egg whites to soft peaks. Add the sugar and whip to a firm meringue.
6. Whip one-third of the meringue into the orange base, then fold in the remaining meringue.
7. Fit a pastry bag with a medium plain tip. Fill with the orange meringue mixture.
8. Fold the crêpes into quarters. Fill the folded pancakes with the orange meringue mixture using the pastry bag. The pancakes may now be frozen for later use if desired.
9. Arrange the filled pancakes on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) until well risen and firm to the touch.
10. Dust lightly with confectioners' sugar.
11. Ladle a ring of sauce Suzette onto each plate. Arrange 3 crêpes on each plate. Garnish as desired with candied zest and berries.
Yield: about 1 pt (450 mL)
|Orange juice||7 oz||200 g|
|Lemon juice||2 oz||60 g|
|Orange zest, grated||0.5 oz||15 g|
|Sugar||7 oz||200 g|
|Butter||2.5 oz||80 g|
|Orange liqueur, such as Cointreau||7 oz||100 g|
|Brandy||2 oz||60 g|
1. Warm the juice and zest in a saucepan.
2. In a separate pan, cook the sugar to a golden caramel.
3. Remove from the heat and add the butter. Stir to begin to dissolve the caramelized sugar.
4. Add the warmed juices. Reduce by one-third, stirring continuously.
5. Add the liqueur and brandy. Ignite to burn off the alcohol.
6. Serve warm.
- Professional Baking
- by Wayne Gisslen
- Wiley 2008
- Hardcover; 800 pages; $65.00
- ISBN: 0471783498
- ISBN-13: 978-0-471-78349-7
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
Also available for use in courses:
Professional Baking College Version, which comes with Laminated Mixing Method Cards and Recipe Software; 800 pages; $80.00.
Study Guide to Accompany Professional Baking, 224 pages; $32.50.
This page created May 2008