Become a pie-baking expert with Bubby's Homemade Pies by Ron Silver and Jen Bervin, with recipes like Bubby's All Butter Pastry Pie Dough; Bubby's All-Fruit Mincemeat; Small Mince Pocket Pies with Clotted Cream; and Apple-Caramel Upside-Down Pie (Tarte Tatin).
Small Mince Pocket Pies with Clotted Cream
Makes sixteen 2-inch pies
Mince pies are typically made up quite small on account of the potent flavors. These are small and round, about the size of a biscuit, with flavorful fruity mincemeat sandwiched between two thin layers of pastry. They are perfect for holiday parties—tangy, buttery, flaky—and meatless. The filling is best made at least two weeks in advance. They are excellent served with clotted cream from Devonshire (available at gourmet shops), mascarpone, or sweetened Crème Fraîche or whipped cream.
- 1 recipe Double-Crust Bubby's All Butter Pastry Pie Dough, chilled
- All-purpose flour, as needed
- 1 cup Bubby's All-Fruit Mincemeat
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed into 16 little cubes
- Sugar, for sprinkling on the top crust
- 1 cup clotted cream (see page 304 of the book) or Crème Fraîche (page 303)
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough and cut out 32 circles with a 2-inch biscuit cutter. Fill half of the circles with 1 teaspoon of mincemeat. Put a small dot of butter on top of each one. Lightly wet the edges, place another circle on top, and crimp the pies closed with a fork. Dock the top of each pie twice lightly with a fork and sprinkle it with sugar. Place the pies on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Freeze them for 10 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Bake the pies for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve them warm with a dollop of clotted cream or Crème Fraîche. Store them at room temperature, lightly covered, for up to 4 days. To refresh, heat briefly in a 350 degrees F oven, until they smell good and are warm to the touch.
- Bubby's Homemade Pies
- by Ron Silver and Jen Bervin
- Wiley 2007
- Cloth; 384 pages; $29.95
- ISBN: 978-0-7645-7634-81
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Bubby's All Butter Pastry Pie Dough
- Bubby's All-Fruit Mincemeat
- Small Mince Pocket Pies with Clotted Cream
- Apple-Caramel Upside-Down Pie (Tarte Tatin)
This page created November 2007