Start your own home candy business with Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner by Peter P. Greweling and The Culinary Institute of America (CIA), with recipes like Buckwheat Beehives, Toffee Drops, and Turkish Delight.
Yield: 182 pieces
1. Combine the sugar with the milk and heavy cream. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
2. Add the glucose syrup and continue cooking to 140 degrees C/284 degrees F over moderate heat while stirring.
3. Add the salt and continue cooking to 145 degrees C/293 degrees F. Stir in the vanilla extract.
4. Pour the mixture into a 12" x 12" x 1/4" frame placed on oiled parchment.
5. Allow to cool to a plastic consistency. Roll repeatedly with a caramel cutter to mark into pillow-shaped squares.
6. When cooled completely, break into squares along the lines. Wrap immediately to protect from humidity.
7. The toffee drops may be dipped halfway in chocolate, if desired.
This page created October 2007
Copyright © 1994-2017,