Improve the quality of your baking with the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking cookbook. Excerpts include 10 Ways to Get More Whole Grains Into Your Life and What Apples Are Best for Baking plus recipes for Apple-Raspberry Oat Crumble and Devil's Food Cake.
1. Buy some whole wheat flour and put it in your freezer. You can't bake with it if you don't have it.
2. Make your own granola and use it for breakfast or as trail mix. See recipes on p. 3-7 of the book.
3. Commit to eating and using more oatmeal. Put oatmeal in streusel toppings, cookies, muffins, cakes and so on. Grind it up fine like a flour and use it liberally.
4. Cook a cup of hulled barley (p. 610 of the book), refrigerate it and use a tablespoon or two in your bread recipes and in your soups, stews, chili, pot pies and so on.
5. Start today by substituting 1/3 cup of white whole wheat flour for 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour in all of your recipes
6. Chocolate and whole wheat are a great combo-make the Chocolate Crinkle Cookies on p. 366, the Chocolate-Chip Waffles on p. 35 or the Devil's Food Cake.
7. Mix up your morning breakfast cereal routine with whole grain muffins, such as our Morning Glory Muffin on p. 45.
8. Give up store-bought white bread. If you can't do that, make sandwiches with on slice of white bread and one slice of whole wheat (if you buy from the store, make sure it is 100% whole wheat or 100% whole grain). Better yet, make the golden Malted Wheat Bread on p. 184 and use that for sandwiches and toast.
9. Bake from scratch. You absolutely have no way of knowing how much whole grain nutrition you are getting in store-bought baked goods. You'll love the results of your own baking; and think how much more wholesome you can make even decadent treats.
10. Don't fret about it. Change your diet gradually. If something doesn't taste good, forget about it. Life's too short to eat food that doesn't taste great.
King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking
Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains
Hardcover; 544 pages; $35.00
Reprinted by permission.
This page created March 2007
Copyright © 1994-2018,