Yogurt and Cucumber Dip
Makes 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes plus 1 hours' refrigeration
1 long seedless cucumber, peeled and diced
1/2 cup raisins, washed and drained
3 cups whole-milk yogurt
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill weed
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
3 tablespoons chopped shelled walnuts
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or dried mint
1 dried rosebud and 2 tablespoons petals
1. In a serving bowl, combine cucumber, raisins, yogurt, sour cream (if desired), scallions, mint, dill, garlic, and chopped walnuts. Mix thoroughly and season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
3. Garnish with 1/2 teaspoon mint, rosebud, and petals. Serve with bread as an appetizer. Nush-e Jan!
Note: For fewer calories and less fat, you may use low-fat yogurt in place of whole-milk yogurt and eliminate the sour cream.
Variation: This may be transformed into a refreshing cold soup by adding 1 cup of cold water and 2 or 3 ice cubes to the mixture.
New Food of Life
by Najmieh Batmanglij
Photographs by Serge
Cover Max Hirschfeld
Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Cichetti Olives (Italy)
- Cichetti Polenta w/Onions and Sausages (Italy)
- Coconut Chips (Caribbean)
- Lamb Empanadas (Latino)
- Pissaladiere (French)
- Skewered BBQ Pork (Vietnamese)
- Yogurt and Cucumber Dip (Persian)
This page created December 1998; modified November 2006