Become a Chef:
Return to the
Copyright © 2017
And the winners are...
The ten winners of the December 1999 GOURMET GUESS contest drawing are:
Tom Birgeles, Jackson Heights NY
Each winner will receive a Capresso "CoffeeTEC" with a retail value of over $199!
And thanks to all the many thousands of participants in the game!
1. The dried seeds of legumes like beans, peas and lentils are called what?
2. The tuile and tulipe are French variations of what type of cookies?
A) Icebox Cookies
3. The croissant, which is French for "crescent," was first created in what city to celebrate the defeat of Turkish invaders in 1686?
4. Medjool, Deglet-Noor and Halawy are all varieties of what?
5. Polenta, a staple food of northern Italy, is made from what?
6. The German dessert wine "Eiswein" (ice wine) is so-called because of what?
A) The grapes are picked and crushed while frozen
7. Used as both a candy and an icing, fondant is a mixture of what three ingredients?
A) Molasses, water and gelatin
8. Mincemeat, a spicy preserve used in holiday desserts, originally included lean cooked meat but many modern recipes contain nuts, suet, spirits and mostly what?
A) Colorful vegetables
9. In 1930, Ruth Wakefield, proprietor of the Toll House Inn in Massachusetts, created the first recipe for what?
10. [Bonus] The new Capresso CoffeeTEC, this month's Gourmet Guess prize, is the first coffeemaker to include a PACS. What does PACS stand for?
A) Pump Auto-Cappuccino System