- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- One 35—ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Serves 10 to 12
- In a Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is softened but not browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan, then add the beans, cauliflower, sweet potato, bell pepper, carrots, corn, tomatoes, broth, cumin, chili powder, tomato paste, paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper, and stir until well combined. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are just tender, about 10 minutes. For more tender vegetables, cook the chili for another 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the cilantro.