A Seasonal Guide to Healthy Eating
Commemorating 50 years of School Lunch
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Lightly grease a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan or coat with vegetable spray.
2. Beat sugar, margarine, and applesauce until creamy and light (about 5 minutes). Add eggs one at a time and continue to beat. Add pumpkin and mix until smooth.
3. Combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir into pupkin mixture and mix until smooth.
4. Add raisins, orange rind, orange juice and nuts (optional). Stir well and pour into loaf pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 60-65 minutes. You can test doneness by sticking a wooden pick into loaf. If it comes out clean, loaf is done. Cut into 12 slices.
Nutrients per serving
"Zip the Fat Off a Chicken". Before cooking, wash whole (broiler) chicken. Put your hand between the skin and breast to loosen the skin. Do the same for the back and top of the drumsticks. Grab the loosened skin and pull off to "zip the skin" off the chicken. Use a knife to trim off any skin from the legs that did not pull off. Wash hands after handling the chicken and before handling any other foods.
Food, Family & Fun Main Page
This page originally published as part of the electronic Gourmet Guide between 1995 and 1999.
Copyright © 1994-2008, Forkmedia LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1994-2018,